Security forces launch anti-terror operation in Quetta
QUETTA: A combined task force has been established to launch a ‘sanitisaton operation’ in Pashtoon Abad locality of Quetta city amid a growing number of violence incidents in the provincial capital.
This was stated by Frontier Corps (FC) Sector Commander Tasawar Sattar in a joint press conference with Deputy Inspector General (DIG) Quetta Abdul Razzaq Cheema.
“The operation intends to wipe out terrorists who have taken refuge in the area,” the FC sector commander said.
He said security forces and other intelligence agencies were participating in the operation. The locality has been divided into four divisions and all tribal elders have been taken into confidence with regard to the operation, the FC official further said.
The FC commander said 3,000 houses will be searched during the operation by various teams comprising 270 police and 791 FC personnel including women searchers.
Speaking on the occasion, DIG Quetta Abdul Razzaq Cheema said the search operation is being conducted with support of the area residents.
The operation is being conducted on an intelligence about presence of terrorists in the area and around 500 houses have been searched so far, added Cheema.
Calling it a community policing, the DIG said the operation aimed at helping the residents without causing trouble to them. He further said that another media briefing will be given on completion of the operation.
‘Rise in violent attacks on Police’
It is pertinent to mention here that the provincial capital has witnessed a rise in attacks on police recently.
On Nov 9, Additional Inspector General (AIG) Telecommunications Hamid Shakeel Durrani and two other policemen were martyred in a suicide attack near Chaman Housing Scheme on Airport Road of the provincial capital.
Assistance Sub-Inspector (ASI) Ramzan and driver Jalil Ahmed were among the dead while four policemen were also injured.
Later on Nov 15, four people including a senior police officer were killed in a gun attack in Nawan Kali area of Quetta city.
Armed riders opened fire on SSP Investigations Muhammad Ilyas’s car in Nawan Kali area killing the officer, his wife, son and granddaughter.
Balochistan has experienced incidents of violence and targeted killings for over a decade. In recent months, the province has faced a number of security challenges, with security personnel in the province often being targeted in roadside explosions and suicide attacks.
Last month on Oct 18, at least seven policemen were martyred and 22 others injured in a ‘suspected’ car bombing on Sibi Road within the jurisdiction of Sariab Road police station of provincial capital Quetta.