Turkey opens probe into missing Saudi Arabian journalist: state media
ANKARA: Turkey has opened a probe into the disappearance of a Saudi Arabian journalist who has not been seen since he went inside the Saudi Arabian mission in Istanbul four days ago, the state-run Anadolu news agency said Saturday.
Riyadh says Jamal Khashoggi, a contributor to the Washington Post, had left the consulate but Ankara says he is still inside.
The news agency quoted Istanbul prosecutors as saying that an investigation had been launched on Tuesday and had been widened since.
Khashoggi went to the consulate to receive an official document for his marriage.
The Saudi Arabian crown prince has told Bloomberg that the journalist was not inside the consulate and said he was ready to allow Turkish authorities to search the building.
“We are ready to welcome the Turkish government to go and search our premises,” he said, which is Saudi Arabian sovereign territory.
He added “we will allow them to enter and search and do whatever they want to do… We have nothing to hide,” he said in the interview published on Friday.
According to Khashoggi’s fiancee, a Turkish woman identified only as Hatice A., he went to the consulate and never re-emerged.